Skip to main content

Reasons for Overspending

I will admit, I have a spending problem. I mean, clearly I do. But why? My parents are incredibly fiscally responsible, I learned financial basics at a young age. I have had good jobs to afford what I NEED (vs. what I want and don't need like those shoes on sale at Nordstrom).

I read this awesome article on Chime.com that really goes into a few basics of the underlying reasons for overspending. I am not trying to make myself feel better here, I made a huge mess for myself. But it is an interesting read. 

Full article can  be found here:  https://www.chimebank.com/2017/02/08/5-reasons-for-overspending-and-how-to-stop/

Basics concepts from the article are below. I definitely know I have wanted to keep up with the crowd. But now that I think about all the times I wasted money doing that, it feels so dumb. My friends love me for me, and would not love me any less if I said no I can't afford that, no I don't want to contribute to that bottle of red wine (I don't even LIKE red wine!!!!). 
We Want to Keep Up with the Crowd
Using Credit Cards Makes it Way Too Easy
We Forget to Budget for Special Occasions
We Get Bored
The Ripple Effect of Buying New Stuff

  1. Imagine you’re out to dinner with friends and everyone orders the rare expensive glass of wine. Chances are you will follow-suit so you don’t miss out on the experience. It stems from the tribal mentality we all inherited from our human ancestors. Being the one person who voices opposition to a group plan because of the high price is not easy to do. If you do speak up, you may feel like a spotlight is placed on you and everyone else is judging your decision. It may be much easier to go along with everyone else, but unfortunately, it’s a major reason we overspend.
  2. Credit cards give an allure that you can “pay for it later”. You promise yourself you’ll pay off your credit card right away, but it seems that every time you run up a balance, something else comes up that you haven’t pay for. So, it’s convenient to simply pull out your card again and pay for it. The cycle continues until your spending is spiraling out of control and you’re drowning in stress and debt. 
  3. It’s easy to make a purchase and chalk it up to a “special occasion.” The next thing you know, special occasions start popping up left and right: a wedding, birthday, the vacation you desperately need. Suddenly living beyond your means because there’s always something coming up that you didn’t plan.
  4. Boredom is another common trap that can lead to overspending. You may love meandering through shops on a weekend just to “kill time,” but the problem is that you usually end up spending money you’d hadn’t planned on spending. Even if you only spend a few dollars on a quick bite, it’s not a good idea to tempt yourself when you haven’t budgeted for boredom shopping.
  5. Have you ever thought that you just needed to make one purchase, like a new couch, and then suddenly you’ve spent thousands of dollars remodeling the entire living room?


What about you? Do any of these situations apply to you? IMO, it is super important to ID the WHY behind your overspending in order to fix the problem you are in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock Bottom

Rock Bottom Last night I realized that I had hit rock bottom financially. I knew the bottom was looming over me (below me?) the past few months after totaling my debts and trying to make a plan to get out of debt. But it was my Mom who made me realize the actual situation I was in after asking me 'Are you in over your head again?' Again. I had done it again. This time I had gotten myself  into $43,000 of debt . Largely credit card debt, but all debt I had created myself. I cried. And cried. And hyperventilated. And walked around my apartment stomping my feet. I felt sorry for myself. I told my mom I was a failure, an embarrassment. She couldn't believe I had done this to myself again. I couldn't either. What is WRONG with me? I feel like I can't breathe, and my anxiety is at an all time high. The worst part is that I did this 100% to myself.  No one else did this to me, no one is to blame, except for myself. I started getting ready to go to bed (at an e

Helpful Financial Blogs

Something I have learned quickly is that I need a replacement activity for online shopping.  When you are sitting at a computer all day for work, everyone takes a few mental breaks to browse the web for news, social media, or in my case ONLINE SHOPPING. My demon. The danger zone. Pro tip (ha ha I am not a pro I have $43,000 in debt): Remove ALL credit cards you have linked to online shopping account. It is not helpful to know that your amex is tied to your paypal account so you literally have to make 0 effort to purchase that top on (final) sale on J.crew. So I started googling. Things like 'best blogs for debt', 'best blogs for millenial financial advice', 'best inspirational blogs for getting out of debt', 'best realistic financial blogs.'  I don't need someone telling me to invest in bitcoin, I need someone who has walked/is walking my debt walk and can give me a daily boost that I WILL SEE THE OTHER SIDE. It will take 1.5 years, but I can do

My Debt Snowball

I started listening to Dave Ramsey a few months ago, back when I was flirting with the idea of getting out of debt (will do a full post on him in a future post). One of Dave's Baby Steps, is creating a Debt Snowball and eliminating all of your debt (duh). This is a method for listing your debts smallest to largest, and then attacking the first one. Once you attack the first one and pay it off, you use those payments for the second debt. And so on. Of course you continue to pay minimum payments towards all of the debts during this process. How to Debt Snowball from Dave Ramsey: https://www.everydollar.com/blog/how-the-debt-snowball-method-works In short, you’ll pay your debts from smallest to largest regardless of interest rate. That’s it. Easy enough, right? Start by grabbing a sheet of paper or opening Google docs and listing all of your nonmortgage debts from smallest to largest. Remember, we’re not worried about interest rates and we’re not worried about your home loa